Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Rangers Newest Autograph Craze (And Hamilton's Reminder of His Power Too)

Today was our first day to go see the Rangers! It started of course with batting practice (BP) at 10 AM. Allow me to introduce you to the Rangers newest craze for autograph collectors...

I obviously wasn't shy to bring out the camera whenever he was around either...HA! I too am hoping to land his autograph (got REAL close twice, but haven't landed it just yet. Plan to before the week is over though).
Vladimir Guerrero appears to be a quiet fella who comes to play. He tends to keep to himself, but entertains a smile when the other guys joke with him -- yet doesn't seem to initiate the jokes. He was fun to watch hit the ball -- obviously.
Though I wasn't able to get a Vlad autograph this morning at BP, I did land several other autographs: (cards) Endy Chavez, Josh Hamilton, Matt Harrison, & Justin Smoak; (pictures) Michael Young, Scott Feldman, CJ Wilson, & Neftali Feliz; and (jersey) Josh Hamilton.
Pretty much BP was the highlight of the day, because the game didn't go as well...
...but of course, Vlad still kept our attention...


Vlad wasn't too impressive from the plate today. Well I guess I'm expecting homeruns each time he is up. He ended up 1 for 3 with a double and run scored. Bless his heart, it hurts me to watch him have to run -- he just looks so awkward...he just seems like he has two long tree trunks for legs -- great for powering a ball over the outfield wall, but difficult to hussle around the base-path with.
Josh Hamilton, however, had a superb day from the plate! I liked to think it was because I got to interact with him a few times for autographs today, but in actuality it was credited to it being his young daughter's 9th birthday. Apparently this morning at breakfast Josh promised his daughter that he'd hit her a homerun for her birthday -- and he is apparently the type of guy that likes to take care of business as soon as possible as her blasted a 2-run homer in his first plate appearance in first inning. Unfortunately, that was the last lead the Rangers would have all game. Hamilton unloaded a double in his second plate appearance, but as we all know, baseball is a team sport, so Josh was not able to carry the team on his own. The Rangers ended up losing the game 9-3. It was a poor showing by the pitching squad, and a lack of offense coming from the bats. Still, I think it's important to note that today's Ranger's squad was a split team, as half the team was in another part of town playing the Los Angeles Dodgers team. With this being the case, having to split our offensive bats and pitchers between two games doesn't allow a coaching staff all his weapons, so we're hoping tomorrow's game will have a better ending.
I must say one of my highlights of the day was finding one of my new "favorites". I have to say I like finding the young talent and following them. In the past my "boyfriends" have been Brandon Boggs and Julio Borbon, both of which I still love and root for on a daily basis. One of my newest young favorites actually got the start at second base today in the game we watched. [Note: We just got word this morning that Ian Kinsler is out for at least a week with a high ankle sprain...this stinks because it means we won't get to see him play this week we are here, and he probably won't be out at BP much with his injury keeping him out of much intense practice]
His name is Marcus Lemon...he is 21 years old, and has the most beautiful eyes and smile! HA!









I told him I thought he has the prettiest eyes when I asked him if he'd take a picture with me...HA! I don't think any of these pictures above do his eyes and smile justice...so you can check his headshot out here on his roster page on the Frisco Roughriders website.
We will be heading back out to Rangers BP in the morning and then to the evening game tomorrow night against the San Francisco Giants. Here's to hoping for a little warmer weather (as it was chilly today in the shade and when the wind blew through -- highs today were mid to high 60s...which is below normal for this time of year in Phoenix) tomorrow and a win! And a Vlad autograph wouldn't be too bad either...HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment